[SML] Masonite Stage Floor Issue

Paul Sanow psanowbca at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 19:21:57 UTC 2015

This is similar experience but not with hardboard.  We had been specifying
Rosco Tough Prime on Plyron and were getting reports of easy damage with
chairs, risers and tape.  At first we assumed lack of cleaning and prep by
contractors.  I did some tests and found the same thing, no matter how I
prepared the Plyron.  Even scuffing it lightly didn't give it enough tooth
to hold the paint well enough.  I also tested RoscoCoat and it performed a
little better than the Tough Prime but with a bit more sheen but still was
damaged easily.  We were turned on to PPG Break Through Wrought Iron
Black.  Similar cost and VOC content to Tough Prime.  It has a little more
sheen but personally I don't like that Tough Prime is so flat that every
footprint shows on a stage.  The PPG product seems to be much more durable
in our tests, adhering well to the Plyron.  We changed our spec in the past
year or so and to date we've had fewer call backs.  May be worth a test.

HTH

Paul Sanow ASTC
paul at bcaworld.com
Bill Conner Associates LLC