[SML] (Sort of semi-OT) The Un-Carrier

Ray Gibson booray at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 16:34:17 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 6:49 AM, Dave Vick via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Who here has jumped from VZW to T-Mobile recently? How has the experience
> proven to be for you? I'm especially curious to hear the experiences of
> those of us who travel a lot. How's the coverage? How's the 4G lte speed?
> Are you happy, or do you wish you'd just stayed with Red and paid the
> usurious rates?

I also switched from T-Mobile to VZW a few years ago, mostly because I
needed a new number while I worked to disassociate myself from an old
business partner, and they were the only carrier with LTE data at the
time.  Rob is right, they are both pirates.. However, I've weaned my
bill down and have dealt with the data drop in multiple ways. I am on
the 'more everything' with my wife, so two lines.

I'm out of contract, finally.  My monthly access is now $15 per line
(as opposed to $40) plus data.  I will never sign another contract.
If I need a new phone I will purchase a factory refurbished one on
ebay.  Most people don't realize that purchasing a refurbished phone
on ebay is actually cheaper than Asurion's deductible to replace your
phone under insurance when it breaks.

A few months ago when Verizon offered a "loyalty" data rate I called
them and switched, and pay $50 for 6 gigs of data, I think.  I also
have a promotional 2 extra gigs of data on my line for no cost for the
next year.  As a last resort, if I get anywhere close to using my
limit, because I've been a customer for so long, they have enrolled me
in this weird/stupid "rewards program" where I earn points, and I have
like, 80,000 of them for how long I've been a customer.  Mostly these
can only be redeemed for dumb gift cards or other promotional items,
but you can add additional gigs of data to your plan for 5,000 points
each, I think.

So, I really dislike VZW and their business practices, but I think
I've whittled my bill down to around $100/month (we'll see next month)
for two lines and a "fair" amount of data.  Also of note, I think that
VZW's customer service has improved in recent years, though only by a
meager amount.

Ray