[SML] (Sort of semi-OT) The Un-Carrier

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 17:12:57 UTC 2015

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 10:49 AM, Dave Vick via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Please note: I am asking specifically about T-Mobile, from the POV of
> former Verizon Wireless victims.

I've had T-Mobile for a couple years now. I'm "ok" with it. As others have
mentioned, they definitely have less coverage outside of the cities, and
it's even noticeable inside the cities. Less enough that I've contemplated
getting a simple "dumb" phone (I *really* miss flip phones) on Verizon
purely for voice calls.

Reasons I'm sticking with T-Mobile (so far):
- At least in marketing, they're trying to stick it to the Big 3. Lower
rates, true payment plans on the phones, etc.
- International service. I've only used it in Brazil so far. When I landed
I got a text message saying "Welcome to Brazil! You have free text
messaging and data service. Voice calls are 20 cents a minute." I didn't
need to do a thing (except turn on "data roaming," which was a scary
prospect...).
- WiFi calling on an iPhone. Goes hand-in-hand with the international
service. From my hotel and work site I make and receives calls exactly as
if I'm in the U.S, with nary a worry about rates. It's not always perfect
(my hotel WiFi isn't the best), but it really does work. No noticeable lag,
either.

--
Michael Sauder
Email: michael.sauder at gmail.com