[SML] OT : Hanging Flat Screen TV

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 17:58:12 UTC 2015

Are you sure there are vertical studs of a pine board wall? If 1 by
vertical t&g pine, it's probably strong enough and it may be framed
with a horizontal top and bottom and one or two between, perhaps 1 by
furring nailed across studs or 2 by spanning further.

On Tue, Jun 30, 2015 at 12:08 PM, Bill Nelson via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>> I have the bracket, but I an having trouble finding the studs under the knotty
>> pine.  My Stud Finder is not strong enough.  I opened an outlet and saw it was
>> attached to wood, followed that line up, but nothing is there. I have tapped
>> my knuckles all over.   Short of x-rays or another dozen pilot holes, I have
>> half that already, is there some trick I am missing?
>
> Do the mounting instructions tell you to screw into the studs?
>
> Modern flat screens are not very heavy, I wouldn't worry about finding the
> studs unless you plan to cantilever the screen out from the wall.
>
> What is under the knotty pine? If it is solid wood, then there should be
> plenty of strength to hold the weight.
>
> Bill

Bill Conner Fellow of the ASTC