[SML] Speakers outdoor drama

Ben Mays ben_mays at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 25 03:34:01 UTC 2015

Hello Everyone!
I’m serving as the TD and consulting on some technical updates for Virginia’s Longest Running Outdoor Drama THE TRAIL OF THE LONESOME PINE this coming summer and am hoping that some of you might have some recommendations concerning Sound. The main item I’m researching is speakers. I haven’t decided whether to go active or passive, but I’m leaning heavily toward the latter so I can keep the amps in one DRY location.  Any recommendations on monitor speakers for dressing rooms, backstage area, and F.O.H.?   For FOH I’m thinking I’m going to try and do 3 zones divided into front seats, mid-section, and further back.  Audience seating area total is approx.. 50’ wide x 100’ deep max.  Speakers will be taken down for the winter months but would remain in the weather for the summer so I’m looking for ideas on weatherizing as well as specific speakers to consider…
Thanks for any recommendations!

Ben Mays
Technical Director
Assistant Professor of Theater