[SML] research

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Sun May 3 17:52:35 UTC 2015

It is hard to evaluate the needs of a Prop Rental Business in Iowa. I'm
located in LA, which has plenty of Prop Rental shops, but I prefer to rent
items from the major Motion Picture Studios, which gives me a greater
selection and is often less expensive. Universal Studios has the largest
collection of chandeliers, having cleaned out San Francisco after the 1906
earthquake, Warner Bros has over 2 million costume pieces, all bar-coded,
Disney loaned me a $70,000 silver Samovar, free, for a production of Three
Sisters. Universal charged me $100 for a 8 week rental for complete
elevators doors and header displays, including the logic electronics. Most
of them have the authentic items.
/s/ Richard

On Sun, May 3, 2015 at 10:32 AM, Ross via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

>   Hello all!
>
> A short while ago I asked a question about prop rental business on
> Facebook.  I am going to expand on it here for those of you on FB.
>
> I have been thinking for years about open a prop rental business.  Being
> located in Iowa, it might be hard going, but I need to do some research
> before I drop this pipe dream.
>
> My first question, do you all use prop rental places much?
>
> How far do you go for rentals?
>
> What type of stuff do you look for when renting?  (Hard to find, seldom
> used, custom made items)
>
> In your opinion, is their room for more, or has the market been over
> loaded with rental places?
>
> Thank you for your time.  Please respond to me off list if you would.  I
> am sure as I start fleshing out this idea, I will have more questions.
>

> Clay Ross
> Pro Dreamer

/s/ Richard
_________