[SML] OT: Non-Standard Wiring Revisited

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Fri Oct 9 18:07:40 UTC 2015

> On 09 October 2015 at 00:49 Dale Farmer via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
>     I haven't wired bathrooms for a while, but I believe that all the outlets
> and lights in bathrooms are supposed to be gfci protected now per current NEC.
>  Kitchen outlets also, except for the electric stove outlet.
>
>     The theory that they put in a gfci in the outlet that also fed the light
> sounds logical.
>
>     Remember that the NEC is primarily a minimum safe standard, not a best
> practices standard.

Different countries: different rules. In the UK, outlets in bathrooms are not
permitted at all. There is one exception, shaver sockets, which can also be used
to charge electric toothbrushes. But they contain double-wound current limiting
transformers. Heated towel rails and so on must be hard wired, and controlled by
a switch not inthe bathroom. Lights and heating appliances are controlled by
pull-cord switches.

Curiously, kitchens are not subject to any particular requirements beyong the
normal wiring standards. As a matter of principle such outlets as I have in the
'splash zone' are splashproof, such as those for the waste disposal unit and
dishwasher.

In France, the rules are more relaxed. Outlets may not be located within
specified distances of baths, showers, or basins. But there four normal outlets
which run my washing machine, tumble dryer, and a heater. The fourth ran a
heated towel rail, until it failed.