[SML] OT: Non-Standard Wiring Revisited

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Sat Oct 10 08:44:50 UTC 2015

> The LX panel appears to be a standard quad-box fixture with a SPST
> switch on one side and a GFCI-protected duplex outlet on the other
> side; standard fare, and in my experience (like in my bathroom at
> home) the two sides are wired independently. But lo; the GFCI breaker
> appears to have been tripped. So I "poosh" the reset button... Et
> Voila! Now the lights work.
>
> This has *GOT* to be a Code violation of some sort...

As a couple of others have stated, it is allowed - although certainly not
desirable. It is no different than plugging a lamp into a wall outlet.

There are only a few outlet circuits where lighting is not allowed. The two
20A appliance circuits in the kitchen is one - also the wired smoke detector
circuit. Others that may be exceptions are a garbage disposal circuit, the
refrigerator circuit, electric range circuit washer/dryer circuits.

To complicate matters, most jurisdictions do not adapt the NEC verbatim - they
modify various sections, sometimes to match existing local practices or
because of lobbying by various special interest groups.

Bill