[SML] [spam] Re: OT: Non-Standard Wiring Revisited

Mt. Angel Performing Arts Center admin at mtangelperformingarts.com
Sun Oct 11 04:05:14 UTC 2015

On 10/10/2015 7:16 PM, Dave Vick via Stagecraft wrote:
> On Saturday, October 10, 2015, Bill Nelson via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net <mailto:stagecraft at theatrical.net>> wrote:
>
>     As a couple of others have stated, it is allowed - although
>     certainly not
>     desirable. It is no different than plugging a lamp into a wall outlet.
>

> Except that it IS different, because if your hypothetical wall outlet
> goes Poof you can plug your hypothetical lamp into a different outlet on
> a different circuit. I certainly can't power my built- in ceiling
> fixtures off a different circuit...
>
> It may be Code-compliant, but personally I think it's a pointless and
> stupid way to wire a bathroom, bordering on recklessness.

When we wired our house we put the bathroom lights and plugs on the same
switched supply line through a GFCI outlet and then the lights - so when
the switch is off the lights and all the plugs go dead.

The reason was if I have a hair curler or other heating appliance
running and forget to turn it off there is less of a fire hazard if the
circuit is dead - and I rarely forget to turn off the lights as I leave
the room.

Of course this was 20+ years ago and most curling irons now have a timer
to shut them off after a while - but at the time it made sense.

Carla

Due to the present surplus of presidential candidates it seems some
circus somewhere is missing a clown.