[SML] Rear projection

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Mon Oct 26 17:40:54 UTC 2015

Bryan Manternach wrote:

"Also. I found 4x8 sheets of Lexan at Home Depot .  It comes with
protective film on both sides.  Only one side has printing on it. The
White only side turned out to be a great diffusion film, and the lexan
was rigid like glass, and the side with print, once peeled off, was
shiny like a pane of glass.  I even drilled two holes in a sheet and
hung it up as a rear projection  screen in my home for over 3 years.²

For a recent show, we needed chalk boards and wanted to project on them.
Front projection wouldn¹t work because of the shadows.  Sanding
bronze/smoked acrylic with fine grit discs and a random orbit sander made
a great chalkboard and RP material; the color matched the gray chalkboard
paint we used for the other chalk boards in the set.  Sanding both sides
helped reduce projector-hot-spot issues.  This might hold up better
long-term than leaving on the protective film if you have to handle it a
lot (film damage).  On the other hand, you can always pull the film if you
decide you want see through the acrylic again; it¹s hard to undo sanding.

- Jim Dougherty
ATD, Middlebury College Theatre Dept.