[SML] Dimming Cooling

e-mail frank.wood95 frank.wood95 at ntlworld.com
Thu Sep 3 22:41:16 UTC 2015

Steve, Steve,Steve....

I am sure that major manufacturers are all doing their best to sell
LED luminaires which can plausibly simulate an ellepsiodal luminaire.
And I have said why.

But, I have a dgeree in Physics, and I know about optics. The laws
have not changed since Galileo, Newton, and Descartes Note the words
'plausibly simulate'. These laws are unbreakable. Manufacturers may,
in answer to commercial pressures, devise ingenious bodges around
them. But an S4 will still give me better beam control than any LED
simulation.

It will use more power, yes. But the complexity of the control needed
is not good news. Apart from the power feed, to achieve good control
of the intensity of an LED luminaire needs a DMX to current controller
for each luminaire. There have been enough posts about DMX problems on
the list to raise questions. The properties of dimmers are well known.

Do not forget that an LED luminaire will need two connectors, one for
power and one for control. I pass over movng lights.

And, I repeat my question. We, as lighting designers, paint pictures
with light. This involves the quality, direction, and control of the
beam of each and every luminaire we hang, rig, and focus. Look at
Vermeer.

On 3 September 2015 at 20:11, Stephen Litterst via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> On 9/3/15 3:02 PM, e-mail frank.wood95 via Stagecraft wrote:
>
>> It seems to me that the principle of lighting design, as I have
>> learnt them, are making a retrograde step. The direction and quality
>> of the light is, or was, all-important. Does it cast hard or soft
>> shadows? LEDs are very versatile as colour sources, but I have no
>> real evidence that I can achieve any sort of precision in where the
>> light goes.
>

> Frank, Frank, Frank....
>
> You know the saying about "None so blind as those who will not see?"
>
> Pretty much every major manufacturer has an LED profile fixture that is
> functionally identical to an ellipsoidal reflector spotlight.  Don't take my
> word for it, watch ETC's ColorSource Spot in action.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0JzgjCdSgc
>
> LED technology is here to stay.  Young technicians and designers should get
> used to it now, because LEDs will be the dominant technology during their
> careers.  I just think it's not going to happen during my career.
>
> Steve L.
>
> --
> Stephen Litterst            Technical Operations Supervisor
> litterst at udel.edu           Mitchell Hall
> 302/831-0601                University of Delaware

Frank Wood