[SML] media servers: was Re: Future of Luminaires

illuminati500 illuminati500 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 8 14:35:25 UTC 2015

I had a production of The Tempest, produced in the round,  for an intimate audience  four vertical lighting towers and surrounded with blacks, which for certain scenes  used nothing but video projectors. I used the smallest possible analogue pinhole cameras attached to the chest of  each the four omnipresent spirits of the island with a very unreliable transmitter on each, each fed to a projector projecting back onto its own content. The cheaper the kit the better because it introduces all kinds of instability and feedback which creates a constant sense of movement and colour both on the floor and on the people. Add to that a couple of projectors  as a general wash being fed with premade content. The big projectors are manned and can move about.  I take two of the camera feeds and use them to generate randomised weird  sounds. It all gets fed through on old ex-broadcast video mixer. The result is unpredicable and quite spectacular. But as I say just for certain scenes.

I would like to repeat that sometime..

DK