[SML] LED Cyc Lights

Richard John Archer rja10 at cornell.edu
Wed Aug 3 16:22:08 UTC 2016

I know the list has been through this before ……..but……

We've gotten  a grant to replace our old cyc lights (1988era) with LED.  I’m not sure of the amount but we had to turn in estimates last term.
We have a 30’ H x 50’ W Gerriets Opera Cyc . (like twin white) Normal operation for dance has the cyc  lit from the rear using a  IFR muslin bounce and a black scrim DS of the cyc. Masking trim is usually at approx 25-26’.

Cyc for scenic uses varies by show …..could be front or back lit.  Trims still often at 25’ or so.

We wouldn’t mind cutting down on the  bounce-cyc-scrim floorspace.  Wouldn’t mind just top lighting for an even wash either …provided we don’t need bottom light for some effect (think sunsets)

So what are people using now or what would you buy today?

Likely we will do some sort of shoot out this fall.   RGBA?  RGBW?

Altman Spectra 200?  Other?

ETC? Lustr?  Vivid?

Chroma Q color force?

Chauvet?

Any other usual suspects?

Rumors of anything  new coming out at LDI?

Thanks

DickA
TD, Cornell U