[SML] Relays vs. Traditional Circuit Breakers for LED Power.

Rob Graham photonguide at gmail.com
Thu Aug 11 15:57:11 UTC 2016

Thank you everyone for your wisdom.  The short version is that because
they're reluctant to bring in a "paid consultant," I'm tasked with
revising specifications for the system.  I was sort of blindsided by
one vendor, and had a conversation which led to an update of a 5 year
old specification (written by a vendor) document made by someone who
was comfortable in, and seemed somewhat reluctant to leave the 2-scene
preset world.  I replaced that person; Since then, I've been told to
"figure out what it might cost" by the administration so we can start
to put together some sort of plan.

My dimming system is a D192 using a Status 12/24 2 scene preset board
speaking CMX, and the "new" board is a MC 24/48, also speaking CMX. I
expect the control heads on the D192s to die at any given moment; we
reboot them fairly regularly now, and I imagine that one day, they
just "won't come back on."

The vendors, understandably (it's their job), wrote "let me sell you
this" proposals. As I've begun to talk through them with
administration and physical plant, questions have come up and I'm
doing my best to bring them good answers.  It seems to me there is
compromise that can be found.  I think the traditional paned to dmx
controlled relay might be a smart solution, as could the ETC Echo
panels.

What I'm dead set against is an outright replacement of the racks with
traditional dimming and incandescent fixtures exclusively, which is
what the original document was.  That feels extremely "20th century
thinking" to me, and doesn't serve the long term production and
educational needs of the building.

I sincerely appreciate all of the great conversation and suggestions
being made here.

RG