[SML] Relays vs. Traditional Circuit Breakers for LED Power.

Ford Sellers fsellers at chauvetlighting.com
Thu Aug 11 16:44:26 UTC 2016

Hi Rob,

There are multiple options for relay panels which take individual circuits, and allow for external control of banks of industrial relays via either cold contact switches, or various control protocols.

Think about how your building's exterior lighting is controlled.

Many of these are not expensive.

Back in the dark ages of the 1990s, when we opened the MGM Grand Conference Center in Las Vegas, we had DMX from our Unison system interfacing with a BIG 'OL box of relays from GE to control the HIDs in the ballrooms, and all of the building's the exterior lighting, in zones.

It was dead simple.  2 big electrical panels with 200(ish) relays each.

I cannot imagine that this technology went away.

The relays went bad occasionally, and we just swapped them out with a box of spares that was provided by our facilities department.

It was cheap, easy to troubleshoot, and effective.  It did require us to access a locked electrical room when the relays died (once the system was stable, this was maybe one relay out of about 400 every few months).

If you're looking for a more elegant solution, we developed a product called the Synapse 4<https://www.chauvetprofessional.com/products/synapse-4/>, which is a combination of an opto-iso for DMX and a 4 circuit relay pack.  It makes it easy to rout DMX and power, and takes a single (up to) 20amp circuit in, give you 4 individually controlled PowerCON outs.  You can make them DMX controlled, or set them up to shut off (or on) after a predetermined time from the loss of DMX.

We developed this for the House of Worship market, so that when they shut off their consoles, the LED fixtures in their rigs can shut down automatically.  Since the quality of volunteers can vary vastly between different venues, we developed this to remove the opportunity for the volunteers to forget.  We have found that it decreases the warranty and non-warranty repairs significantly in years 2 and beyond when the rigs are shut down if they're not in use.

It's either Rack, or clamp mountable, so you can have them in a remote location, or move them around in your rig, pretty easily.

It won't be as cheap as an industrial rack (I think street price is around $400 each), but it's flexible, scalable, easy to setup and use, and fairly volunteer-proof.

Thanks,

-Ford