[SML] Illuminated prop cel phone question

Damon Gelb dgelb at muhlenberg.edu
Thu Aug 11 18:49:35 UTC 2016

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 7:25 AM, Steven Mclean via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I am faced with the prop challenge of creating a cel phone that could
> light up and we would see the light on the face of the actress in the
> mostly-dark, then when the person she is calling doesn't answer, throws the
> phone in disgust.  Rather than use a real phone, I am inclined to fashion a
> prop for this.
> Seems to me that there was some discussion here some time ago about some
> type of luminous film.
> My hope is that a button battery or two and such a film might fit the bill.
> Anybody out there remember such a thing

 We made a similar prop this summer for our production of "In The
Heights".  The choreographer wanted the dancers to quickly take out cell
phones and turn on the built in flashlights.  We needed a dozen units, and
needed to quickly and simultaneously turn on the lights.  Our quick and
easy and somewhat inexpensive solution was to purchase the cheap Harbor
Freight LED headlamp flashlights, old iphone cases (literally found these
at the dollar store) and momentary contact mini switches.  We dismantled
the headlamps and re-assembled into the iphone cases with the new switch,
then covered all but one of the LED's.  It was a simple easy solution - you
could probably just use a thin sheet of lexan or even frosted gel to make
your screen that is backlit in a similar fashion.

--
Damon Gelb
Technical Director