[SML] "Dimmer" Is this too good to be true?

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 15 03:36:57 UTC 2016

While I had been forewarned that both E-bay and Amazon were plagued by sellers who set up multiple identities, and used false specs to lure buyers, I recently decided to try out some of the very cheap LED lights available there.  I figured, the technology will get cheaper over time, so perhaps the technology will eventually catch up with the dishonest sellers.

I was wrong.  All the units I tried were far below their stated specs. Amazon is pretty good about getting refunds to the vendors who "fulfilled by Amazon".  I am still waiting for my refund a week after my return to the E-bay vendor.  But, I will ask E-bay to get involved if it is not done by Monday.

So, it would not be surprising if the dimming unit you show was also way out of spec.  They depend upon the user's not testing them while they still have time to return them.  The few that do, don't hit the profit margin enough to be a problem.  Also, expect that the vendor will take several rounds of correspondence to actually agree to the refund. Don't order unless you can fully test it.

By the way, I have been hoping for an alternative to both E-bay and Amazon, because of the problems I had. Many of their users are also frustrated.  When a single vendor sets up a zillion accounts, and floods the service with a zillion copies of the same thing, you can't actually shop for many items. My current search for alternatives have not shown any that are viable for theater related stuff. Perhaps someone else can point one out.

-Joe