[SML] painting both sides of flooring

Stephen Rees Stephen.Rees at fredonia.edu
Fri Dec 9 18:37:20 UTC 2016

If this is for a long-term installation like a sacrificial surface on a
stage floor then I highly recommend priming both sides first with a
water-based product then installing with 4d ring-shank nails (8" 0.C. on
the perimeter and 12" in the field of a 4' x 8' sheet). Once installed, you
can paint with your finish coat or coats as necessary.  Regarding gaps, we
always used dimes set on edge between sheets for gaps. I have known others
who use pennies or nickels. Kind of up to what works with your material.
The goods we used years ago were certainly more consistent than what is
often seen these days.  Go with what whatever gap makes the best cents to
your application.  :)

Steve

Stephen E. Rees
RAC Addition Project Shepherd
State University of New York at Fredonia
716.673.3208 Office
716.680.1565 Mobile