[SML] painting both sides of flooring

George Davidson george at georgedavidson.ca
Fri Dec 9 20:56:07 UTC 2016

Hi Andrew

When we last did our floor about 9 years ago, the origional floor bubbled
and buckled a bunch and required lots of additional nails and screws to
keep flat, it was just poorly installed

We had the flooring delivered about 4 months early, let it sit for 2 months
then spent a month painting both sides and edges with Rosco tough prime

To lift the old deck, we used a roofing scraper and pry bars, trying to
remove any nails or screws before lifting the sheets of maso was a waste of
time as 90% of the nails came up when we peeled the sheets

after the deck was removed, use the backside of a push broom, the wooden
head will snag on anything that shouldnt be there, you then make a decision
on if it will be better to pound it down or pull it out, some of the broken
screws met the flap disk grinder

before laying the sheets, do chalk lines for important lines and every
couple of rows, we did a centre line and a drape line (if you want it
behind the main drape, it needs to be behind this line) - I would probably
do 1/4 marks for dancers next time - its worth the extra maso

we installed the sheets with a nickles as spacers and used a nail gun to
place the sheets, the chalk lines ensure you are not drifting, and lets you
adjust before committing, we then put a ring nail approx every square foot.

The next step was 2 additional top coats of tough prime with a week of dry
time between coats (we are lucky to be dark in august) with special
attention to getting paint into the cracks (to try to seal against
glitter), pouring and spreading vs paint trays puts a much thicker coat down

The biggest issue we have is that the maso that was purchased is not double
tempered and does pull up, the paint seems to be stronger than the maso

George Davidson
Clarke Theatre
Mission BC