[SML] Flying Effects / Aerial Dance, Liability, and "Certification"

Alex French flaggday at gmail.com
Mon Feb 1 21:16:28 UTC 2016

On Mon, Feb 1, 2016 at 2:05 PM, Dale Farmer via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> Another way to make the powers that be see reality is for you to work up a
> cost breakdown for what it would cost to get you trained to do this.  So
> maybe a three week training and practitum, cost of the additional
>  insurance rider, any required equipment.  Don't forget that your
> understudy will also need this training, in case you get sick or break an
> arm or whatever.   I suspect that those costs would get into the five
> figure range pretty easily.
>
> Dale

My impression is that services from an outfit like D2 or Foy are actually
extremely affordable when you break down what's involved-

-experienced technician w/relevant
-their travel
-specialized equipment, and exactly what you need for each different job
-shipping of that (sometimes large awkward gear)
-insurance
-consulting/design/analysis

Compare the costs to something related in another discipline- getting a
similar quality sound engineer or lighting programmer or ML tech to come to
your location, along with rental for something like a mid-range lighting or
sound console or a few high-end MLs or video gear, (maybe more expensive
than the rigging gear, but a lot less boutiquey) to come anywhere outside a
major city for just a few days of man-time and a few weeks of equipment
rental...

and suddenly whatever you've paid D2 will probably seem more like "how can
they even do it that cheap?".

Alex French