[SML] tinkerbell lighting effect

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 4 17:12:38 UTC 2016

I have not seen Finding Neverland, but I been toying with the idea of creating a motorized Tinkerbell puppet, suspended by two lightweight cords which go to winches on the upper corners of the proscenium.   Tinkerbell, perhaps being a lightweight ball of LEDs.  I was initially thinking wireless control of the LEDs, but it might be easier to just have the cables provide the electricity.

I started the process of designing a motor controller that would accept DMX, but didn't complete it, since I didn't have a theater wanting to utilize it, and didn't want to continue to put money into it.

One of the physical issues would be the task of spooling out the cable for such a light weigh object, over such a long distance.  Picture Tinkerbell being at the upper stage-right area of the proscenium.   The cable to the other side would really only have the weight of the cable itself on it.  So, at Tinkerbell moved towards that position, there would not be much weight to pull the cord out.  It may not actually be a problem.  But, if it is, the cord would be likely to tangle. Then I considered how a fishing reel works, and it is able to spool out with minimal force on it.

 If there were a problem with spooling out, I considered the idea of putting the spool in an air-tight container and putting a bit of pressurized air, so that the cable outlet has air flowing through it.  This would blow the cord out.

If you ever wanted Tinkerbell to move up/down stage, you might simply create a 2nd puppet system, and have Tinkerbell move behind or into something to facilitate a swap of puppets.  So, the Left/Right puppet moves into the lamp, and the Up/Down  stage version comes out.  A similar arrangement might be done with a puppet that moves over the audience's head.  This one would not need to have its lights controlled, so the cord could be lighter and perhaps the puppet itself as light weigh as possible to minimize any possible harm should the cable break.

You mentioned a theater in the round.  A similar arrangement to the 2D puppet could be done by having 3 cables. Their winches would be up above and behind the audience.  Then, the puppet could move anywhere in the area of a triangle formed by the winches.  But, of course, any such arrangement would need to be able to clear any drops or curtains, but being in the round, those objects may already be out of the way for your flying area.

-Joe