[SML] A question about visual interpretation of RGB colors

Lou Poppler loupoppler at cableone.net
Thu Feb 25 01:05:40 UTC 2016

----- Mt. Angel Performing Arts Center via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
[...]
> I did one spin of the circuit board with the LEDs of each color sort of
> interleaved or scattered ( YRGB GBYR, etc) and viewing it the individual
> LEDs are very apparent. They're currently arranged into about a
> 1.25x1.25" array.
>
> I'm going to experiment with another configuration and cluster each
> color a bit closer together and grouped together and see how that works
> out -
>
> but I'm wondering if there's any 'collective wisdom' about this sort of
> thing.
>
> It's also possible that once I get far enough away from the LED array
> the color will blend/mix better but that's an experiment for another day.

Many years ago I helped set up a comparison of Jumbo sized video displays
in a 20K seat basketball arena.  One of the competitors used a 3-LED
mini-PCB for each pixel of the screen, approx 5/8" square, with RGB only.
Once it was hoisted up to the scoreboard position above center court,
it looked like a normal TV picture to me.  This was a long time ago, and
those LEDs were much more primitive than what you have today.