[SML] Stage pistol?

B. H. Ackler backler at ix.netcom.com
Wed May 4 20:52:29 UTC 2016

If you choose to follow the gunsmith route, legally purchase the firearm, and
then have the firearm converted to a blank-only device (method dependent on
type of weapon) then you can file a "Destruction of Firearm Form" with the ATF
and since the firearm can no longer fire a projectile, depending on local
regulation, it ceases to be a "firearm" and now is only a DEADLY stage prop.

I suggest .32 calibre revolver with longer barrel, as it is "small" and such
an odd blank size that mistakes are less likely. Reads well on stage visually
and the blanks are not "too loud (38cal)" or "thin and weak (22cal)".

And let us not even discuss the Thompson .45 cal submachine gun for Petrified
Forest.

Bryan H. Ackler
Portland, Oregon

On 5/4/2016 10:02 AM, stagecraft-request at theatrical.net wrote:
 > Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 22:53:18 +0000
 > From: Duncan Mahoney<dmahoney at usc.edu>
> Subject: Re: [SML] Stage pistol?
 >
> Mac asks
> "Can anyone recommend a good, reliable stage revolver and where they can be
>  purchased?"
>
> Assuming by "stage revolver" you mean "blank firing only revolver"  the
> short answer is that there is almost no such thing.  90%+ of blank firing
> guns are made from a very weak cast-able alloy, usually based on zinc.
> Sooner or later those will all start to fail, one common problem is that
> the firing pin will leave a deep enough dent in the hammer that the gun
> will no longer fire.  Alternately some of the moving parts will wear
> "out-of-spec" and the gun will no longer line the cylinder up properly with
> the firing pin.  Frequently though someone will drop the gun and it will
> break long before it wears out.

  --  { snipped for brevity } --