[SML] Variable speed motor

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Wed May 11 04:49:50 UTC 2016

>>     The use is to move Mary Poppins up and down a ramp on a dolly behind a
>> cut out of a sky scene. Track and dolly have been designed. But, I still
>> need a way to move her.
>>     The ramp is 24 ft long, rising a total of 8 ft. Total weight of person
>> and dolly are under 225lbs.
>>     I would prefer a motor which is variable speed, operates on 120V, with
>> forward and reverse.
>>     I've tried looking online, but, have only found motors that are
>> inappropriate.
>>     What suggestions do you folks have?

Hi, Jeff.

Does your theatre have flying rigging? If so, could you re-purpose one of the
line sets to operate the dolly? It would require a qualified rigger to tie off
the existing pipe, rig a turn block at the right location and build the custom
cabling. It might also require sistering two adjacent sets, to allow easy
operation both empty and with MP on the dolly.

Bill