[SML] NYC knife law

Dougherty, Jim jdougher at middlebury.edu
Fri May 20 19:31:12 UTC 2016

First, condolences to the family and friends of the stagehand as well as
the officers involved.  There were no good outcomes there (other than that
more people could have been hurt and weren¹t), and they have my sympathies.

There was an article a little over a year ago about how strict NYC¹s knife
laws are
(http://www.villagevoice.com/news/how-a-50s-era-new-york-knife-law-has-land
ed-thousands-in-jail-6662589).

NYPD interpretation of the law (and they are the AHJ in question) covers
anything that can be opened one-handed.  They are very good at doing so,
and the article described how they can open most pocket knives, especially
the pocket-clip lockback knives that we as stagehands are prone to carry.
Another part of the article points out that it only has to open once,
regardless of how many tries, to potentially lead to arrest and/or
conviction.

In the world of unintended consequences, I know someone who after reading
the article and a bit of practice can now open their knife one-handed that
way.  Makes it much handier at work, where it is regularly used as a tool
and never as a weapon.

- Jim Dougherty
ATD Middlebury College Theatre Dept.

P.S. I carry a knife just about every day for work but if I¹m going into
the city I leave it at home.