[SML] Gluing down vinyl mesh to scenery

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Wed Oct 5 17:51:31 UTC 2016

Hello all....

Many times, I've had large bits of scenery printed on vinyl mesh
(billboard type stuff - sort of like scrim, but made of vinyl, and is
cheap).... and it comes out looking pretty good, if the artwork starts
off looking good.  Anyway, I've hung/stapled it... easy enough... but
when I've needed it adhered to hard scenery, sort of like wallpaper,
I've had less-than-stellar results. Does anyone have recommendations
for adhesive?  Here's what's been done before:

Wallpaper paste: doesn't seem to hold it well.  Maybe because this is
a mesh/scrim-type material... not enough surface area...?  The edges
curl up a lot, too...

Super 77 or other airborne spray: hate it.  Gets everywhere, AND the
open time is too brief, considering these vinyl sheets are so large.
The spray-on glues want adhesion in 15-30 seconds. Not do-able with a
piece that's 8 or 9 feet large.

Since this is a mesh, something like contact cement probably isn't
going to go well, either, since we don't want the glue to ooze out
through the mesh and ruin the artwork... so something that dries clear
would be needed.

Any suggestions for adhesives?  (These large panels are almost always
applied vertically - like walls that can't be laid flat on the floor.)

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com