[SML] Security: Active shooter

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Sun Oct 16 22:04:01 UTC 2016

I work on a university campus with an excellent safety team. Everyone -
students, faculty, staff and even visitors on occasion - goes through
multiple drills each year practicing what to do in case of various
life-threatening emergencies. Since the Pacific Northwest is seismically
active, it all started with earthquake safety training, and now includes
a number of other risk drills and simulations, including active shooter
situations, toxic substance releases, etc. It helps to not only know but
*practice* the difference between run/hide/fight, shelter in place and
drop/cover/hold on/evacuate strategies, depending on the situation.

The building where I work houses international student support services,
and in recent years there's been more conversation about violence based
on race and ethnicity, as well as gender and orientation. I consider
this a good thing.

--
Pat