[SML] Miniature light lab

Joe D jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 15 19:32:12 UTC 2016

I had toyed with the idea of printing some standard fixtures in miniature, using a 3D printer.  They would be modeled around a white LED, though I imagine a RGB LED is a possibility. But, I think that a white LED would permit you to use the actual gels you plan to use. There would be a resistor sized for 12v source.

I would want to put in some provision for a gel holder in the miniature light. If it were 1":12", then it would be relatively easy. Though at 1/2":12", then it might be a bit messy to allow for gels.

Then, I would use some of the cheap 12v DMX interfaces designed for LED light strips. They only cost around $16 for a 4-channel version.

I had not thought much about the mounting of the fixtures.  I imagine that alligator clips can substitute for C-clamps. Perhaps they can also serve as the electrical ground connection. Badge clips are another option, which take less space an seem to provide a better place to connect a screw to the fixture.

For the plugs, I would use some header strips sized for the standard 0.1" plugs and solder the header strips into a prototyping solder board.

One issue with LEDs, is that their beam pattern is often very inconsistent in how the color is spread out. Does anyone have any specific recommendation for white LEDs that are better than average for an even color spread?

Joe Dunfee
jdunfee12 at yahoo.com