[SML] 3D Printing

Jerry Durand jdurand at interstellar.com
Mon Apr 17 22:50:54 UTC 2017

Can't help on the CAD software as I use paid-for software, but for CNC
milling I use SheetCAM to generate the g-code.  In the free demo mode
you can do small items like front panels but it limits the number of
moves you can make.  However, there's noting stopping you from running a
separate g-code file for each section of your project.  More tedious but
free.

For 3D printing the printer often comes with an open source (or possibly
closed source) package.

As long as you can find a CAD system that you know how to use that can
generate STL files for 3D printing and DXF files for milling, you will
be good to go.

On 04/17/2017 03:31 PM, Paul G. via Stagecraft wrote:
> So... what software should I choose in order to do some 3D printing as well as CNC milling? As I am currently disabled and living on an extremely limited budget. The software must be inexpensive or, at best, free. Also the learning curve must have a large radius as I seem to have developed a disconnect when it comes to learning any type of "drawing" software. I used to use ACAD LT to do space planning before I went on the board to design and draft a set. ACAD was great for making the changes necessary in the initial set design phase, but hand drafting was much faster for the final work. at least it was for me. I taught myself AutoCad and then ACAD LT without any problem but now when I go to learn a new software, my brain seems to seize up. So, if I have to put out what for me would be a considerable amount of effort to learn a new software, I would like it to be the right one.
>
> Anyways, what do y'all suggest?
>
> Laters,
>
> Paul 1
>
> Sent from my iPad