[SML] RIP Helen Pond

Richard John Archer rja10 at cornell.edu
Tue Apr 18 16:07:03 UTC 2017

http://www.capecodtimes.com/news/20170413/renowned-set-designer-helen-pond-dies-at-age-92

Herrick Goldman

Thanks Herrick,
Quite a life……...
I first met Helen (and Herbert, of course) back when I was working on the Opera Company of Boston’s production of Good Soldier Schweik in the spring of 1970.  I think I’ve mentioned here before that this was performed in the old hockey rink at Boston College (McHugh Forum)  and the old drill hall/arena at MIT (Rockwell Cage).   Just a little set  in the round with projection TV ( this in 1970 remember--- Eidophor B&W projectors from the for runner of MIT’s Media Lab) for a screen mid stage with live TV and pre recorded tape;   a train ,  armored cars, and tanks, built over golf carts….trenches  dug into the arena’s dirt floor……. read about it here….

https://books.google.com/books?id=M8AQKA7nyzsC&pg=PA85&lpg=PA85&dq=mit+arena+good+soldier+schweik+performance&source=bl&ots=tIbr4d8LuI&sig=jtWfVeVTL8N29vMKQy68rfhYGDQ&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1nayyrK7TAhVlzFQKHYQBArQQ6AEIJTAA#v=onepage&q=mit%20arena%20good%20soldier%20schweik%20performance&f=false

Just a little magic from Helen and Herbert.  The next season in Boston’s of Cyclorama building (also known as the Flower Market) saw  no less inspiring design solutions to an impossible space.

In the small world, 6 degrees,  department….Helen and Herbert did the Brdwy set and lighting design for What Makes Sammy Run,   starring Steve Lawrence.  Lawrence's grand daughter is a student here working in my shop.

DickA
TD, Cornell U