[SML] Theatre-in-the-Round Productions

Richard John Archer rja10 at cornell.edu
Wed Apr 26 15:12:20 UTC 2017

> On Apr 26, 2017, at 10:52 AM, Tom Hackman via Stagecraft <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
> Interesting thread.  I believe most shows can be done in most configurations. Some require a lot more creativity on the part of the creative team than others. Sometimes, making it work in a non-conventional arrangement is worht it, sometimes it is not.
>

> Tom

Yes…take a look at the season history of Washington’s Arena Stage.   ….originally in a 30 x 36’  playing space (plus audience of 827)

http://www.arenastage.org/about/history/1960s/1961-1962/

Disclaimer….Arena founded by Zelda Fichandler Cornell grad…..many early productions directed by Alan Schneider who also got a degree at Cornell……..long before my being here although I worked with both of them

And then there were many music “tent” theatres that did musicals in the round for years from the 50’s into the 70’s. I knew people who worked with in the round musicals  in Cleveland, Oh.

DickA
TD, Cornell U