[SML] E-programs instead of printed programs?

Pat Kight kightp at peak.org
Mon Aug 28 19:24:10 UTC 2017

Joe via Stagecraft wrote:

> QR code can do a variable number of characters.  For example the version
> called Module 2, with its 25x25 matrix, and at a low level of error
> correction, can provide 47 alpha-numeric characters.
> -Joe

QR codes are used a LOT in science museums these days to provide
enhanced content for exhibitry, including audiovisual curation notes,
closeup photos of collection items with more information than can
usually be displayed in exhibit signage, and other educational
information. I could totally see similar use for theater. Beyond
replicating print programs, one could include interviews with the
director, playwright, actors and designers, educational content, etc.
You're only limited by your ability to afford in-house content creators.

The only downside I can think of is that (a) some people - me included -
still don't own smart phones (maybe the same information could be
displayed on a screen in the lobby before shows and during intermission)
and (b) it might encourage people to use their phones during
performances, which I doubt any of us want to see.

--
Pat Kight
kightp at peak.org