[SML] Backup

NODEraser noderaser at gmail.com
Tue Dec 5 16:00:40 UTC 2017

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 3:33 AM, Bill Conner via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> Crash Plan was recommended here as a great back up program.  It has seemed
> very good, never having a need for recovery, so thanks to whomever
> recommended it. But they are discontinuing the "home" account and the
> business level us a little pricey for one individual IMHO.  So, anyone found
> another good service?

I had been using CrashPlan to achieve paranoid redundancy, backing up
to my local NAS as well as an off-site NAS with family members halfway
across the state. Because this relied on two computers to be up and
syncing, it took a bit of maintenance to keep everything flowing
properly. I was already using Dropbox to synchronize files between
computers, with 1 TB of cloud storage, so I finally decided it was
easier just to stick with that and dismantled the CrashPlan scheme.
I'm not even backing up to my local NAS; I figured that just having my
files synced across multiple devices is good enough for redundancy. I
suppose things could go wrong if some malicious party decided to do
something nasty to the Dropbox servers, but so far I've been able to
keep my files together dating back to 2002 using a number of different
schemes that have not failed yet. Yet.

--
[Greg Bennett]
-Independent Carpenter, Electrician & Lighting Designer