[SML] Capio Dimming

Jason C jasonclights at gmail.com
Wed Dec 6 15:47:20 UTC 2017

I have a Capio system in a church here in Maryland.  It is only a little
over 10 years old and it is shambles.  The distributed dimmers (raceways)
started failing rather quickly.  It appears that they are so notorious for
failing on the regular, that Strand (i think it was.. been a while) has
developed a 1-1 replacement kit to change them out for their dimmers
instead.  Rack mounted dimmers have lasted a little longer, but I have
noticed lamps singing a lot over the past year or so.  We are currently
trying to replace our house lights with LED and the demo unit I installed,
which is recommended by the manufacturer for theatrical dimming systems,
will not turn off.  When you take the channel to zero, the led ghosts on
and off in a slow fade.  This was replicated over several cards.  Between
this and the singing incandescent filaments, I am sure that most if not all
of the cards are having voltage leak issues... meaning we will have to
replace them, or scrap the LED project.

I would absolutely push hard to replace the system.  I am highly
disappointed in the quality of manufacture of the system we have, and I
know that I am not alone in this.   This is said, though, in a mindset that
a dimming system should be able to easily last 25+ years if not more with
regular preventative maintenance.  I mean, ETC and Strand have figured that
out.  Less than that is difficult to swallow for such a major investment.