[SML] platforming to go on the road

Duncan Mahoney dmahoney at usc.edu
Thu Feb 9 03:12:04 UTC 2017

We regularly lift 8' high platforms one 4X8 at a time using the method you suggest, legs on the platform while it rests upside down on the deck, plumb and crossbrace the legs, then tip it onto its feet.  With a crew of 6 to 8 including a couple of people 6' tall or more, it's not too bad.

But with ACTF competition, how much time do you have onstage to set up?  Would it be better to make the platform a bit shorter so it can come out of the truck on legs?  How big is the overall platform?

And on to a couple other considerations, 8' is high, how do the performers get up?  Stairs are going to take up a lot of space, ladders have their own issues.  What about railings?  The theater exemption only applies to the audience side/s.  How does the performer get down through the trap?

And of course, how do the sightlines in the theater work for a performer on an 8' high platform?  If the lighting is a festival rep plot with a couple specials for your show, will you be able to adequately light the performers on the platform.

Platforming, railings, stairs, etc. are rentable items from companies like Steel Deck or Bil-jax, but set up time may still be an issue

Duncan Mahoney
Director of Technical Direction
Associate Professor of Theatre Practice
University of Southern California School of Dramatic Arts

Message: 1