[SML] Hovercraft revolve?

Jon Lagerquist jon at lagerquist.com
Fri Feb 10 20:00:35 UTC 2017

While not as exciting as a hovercraft or marbles, I have spun a 10'
diameter 1" thick turntable on UHMW strips. Concentric rings of 12"
strips of 1/8" on the floor, crossing pieces on the bottom of the 1/2"
ply deck and a 1/4" skin. This unit did have a scenic piece with casters
that crossed center, but I expect that a full disk would work well. I
expect that moving it with a load would be comparable to dragging a
pallet over the floor.

Jon

On 2/10/2017 11:48 AM, Joe D via Stagecraft wrote:
> The theater where did our recent revolve is primarily a dance school.
> They normally have a dance floor with the seams taped. This would
> seem to be an ideal surface for this sort of idea. We normally roll
> the floor up, to avoid any damage to it. Air casters may permit more
> instances where the floor does not have to be taken up.  Though, this
> not really a big concern.
>
> I have seen large 4' square, commercial air-casters in use.  The air
> flow was through fire-hose scale hose, and was of course quite
> substantial in volume. The noise from the bladders sounded like birds
> tweeting.  But, I was thinking this would not be the case in a very
> smooth floor situation, and without any of the bladders.
>
> I can certainly see that the marble idea might work for a revolve.
> It would certainly be easier than an air system.  I must have missed
> it among one of the threads about using hamsters. For a dance, floor
> the marbles may tend to seat themselves in little recess if any
> substantial load is sitting in one spot for any length of time. I
> imagine the use of the larger shooter-marbles is advised if your
> floor has expansion joints. But, perhaps a layer of something can be
> put down first.
>
> Any reports of anyone trying it?
>

> Joe Dunfee jdunfee12 at yahoo.com

Jon Lagerquist