[SML] Clearcom into mixer

Andy Lang andy at soundguyandy.com
Sat Feb 18 21:08:15 UTC 2017

On Thu, Feb 16, 2017 at 7:16 PM PJ Veltri via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I've found the drawing for the voltage dryer (
> http://www.plsystem.com/pdfnew/aob2og01.pdf) but am curious if an
> isolation transformer or a Direct Box would be reasonable ways to go about
> this rather than having to spend the time going to the store, buying
> capacitors, and then then half hour putting the thing together, undoubtedly
> burning myself a few times in the process.

You really shouldn't, because of the DC voltage that exists on a Clearcom
line. If you need quick and dirty, you want to wire up a four-pin to
three-pin adapter to connect the headphone lines of the headset to an XLR
cable, - to pins 1 and 3, + to pin 2, and then connect that to your input
via an iso transformer. But you need to be able to dedicate a station just
for the record in that case, and you'll still get a better result with a
proper DC blocking adapter that can take the actual PL.

Masque (my former employer) sells them pre-made in a nice little
pass-through barrel, but they're not cheap at $116 list:

http://www.masquesound.com/product/i-com-r/

 AudioMan claims that his ISO-Box transformer unit can be used for this,
but I'm not comfortable giving it a thumbs up without knowing how it's
wired, to confirm that it's not doing things that fall into "sometimes okay
but could cause problems" category with the DC voltage, or with the load on
the intercom circuit.

http://www.audiomanproducts.com/ISO-Box-1-5-Items-ISO-Box-1-5-Items.htm

-Andy
--