[SML] WAY, WAY, WAY O.T. : Death and Politics

June Abernathy JEA00321 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 24 18:03:49 UTC 2017

Like Jeffrey, and like, I suspect, many of the regulars on the group, I agree with both sides of this. Also, ultimately, I agree with Uncle Bill.

One of the reasons I started the FB version of this list is that there are inherent limitations in this format. Pictures and links, sure, but also, no moderation, no way to remove inappropriate posts.  We have a large and diverse readership here, above and beyond the couple dozen regular posters. And even among the regular posters, we have not only a diversity of views, but some touchy triggers. We *should* be able to have a reasoned adult discussion around touchy topics,  and I think we probably could in person at a real bar, but we have a really bad track record of being able to do it here. Also, a lot of folks enjoy this list precisely because it is a respite from the contentious and politics filled rhetoric that is everywhere else right now.

I don't recommend political discussion here, and I will heavily police such discussion on the FB group. As a for instance, I would allow all of these hypothetical discussions that Herrick posted on FB, although I'd probably monitor carefully to see if comments got out of hand.

> I hear the electrics strike crew on the inauguration grounds had difficulty moving their lulls around while there was an unscheduled parade of some sort the day after inauguration.   How odd that the parks dept didn't have foreknowledge.  We should discuss permitting and crowd control during a load out on public lands.
>
> I hear we are leaving the TPP, Most of our moving lights and consoles are made in China, should we buy a ton of them now or wait and see?
>
> How do we feel about gold vs red curtains in an office without corners? *note to scenic designers of future plays contrasting administrations, you're gonna need a scene shift.

If a bunch of you want to start an Arts Political group either via a mailing list or on FB to discuss politics and how they affect our lives, and invite a bunch of SML people to join, feel free. Invite me. But not here, please.

June Abernathy
IATSE #321 (Tampa, FL)
FOH Electrician
Disney's The Lion King National Tour