[SML] Breaking the typecast: (was: Educational sources on time code and sync)

Michael Sauder michael.sauder at gmail.com
Wed Jan 25 19:13:43 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jan 25, 2017 at 11:59 AM, smashwolf--- via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> How do you find such a position?  I have a lot of IT and show systems
> experience, and I am tired of working the silicon valley IT enterprise
> support gig.  The pay is decent, but the work is not rewarding at all in
> any other way.  I have been trying to find a way to crack into the A/V and
> technical theater world for 20 years.  The demand for the IT work just
> keeps me around IT.  My IT career feels like a bad typecast.  Any
> suggestions on breaking out?  Is there even a demand for folks like us?

Honestly, this position was largely a matter of being in the right place
(NYC) at the right time (October, 2016), and knowing the right people (John
Huntington and other show control industry folks). I didn't find it, it
found me. Also, having the exact niche skillset they were looking for:
Cisco, Medialon, 7thSense Delta, plus general IT and, of course, theater
experience. Funny thing, so far I've been spending half my time working on
Linux systems..

It's an interesting position in no small part because out of the 100+
running show crew, my boss and I are the only ones non-union and have to
follow the corporate dress code (grumble grumble tight dress shirts
grumble). I actually have completely unrelated questions about folks who
have bought dressy blacks (for example: anyone ever found it worthwhile
getting a coat tailored to fit radios?)

There is definitely a need/demand; the person that can do all the above is
rare. But only the largest spaces are going to have, for example,
enterprise-level redundant Cisco show networks. Show Control, however, is a
(relatively speaking) much larger field that is in high demand right now.
Right off the bat, I can tell you that Smart Monkeys, in Miami (
www.smart-monkeys.com/) is looking for strong IT savvy people.

--
Michael Sauder
Show Control Programming and Design