[SML] FCC Stuff/Mic System Upgrade

Jon Ares jonares at arescreative.com
Fri Jul 28 18:17:45 UTC 2017

On Fri, Jul 28, 2017 at 10:47 AM, tech dept via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
> It just shows-to-go-ya that one needs to be ever vigilant when buying gear, as sales will try to push anything on us.
> On a different note, I had band come in insisting that they use their "BLUETOOTH" wireless system (complete with 4 mic receiver). I would have none of it and gave them wired mics to use. They did the night with the wired mics, just fine..

I had a group like that (twice...ugh).  They wanted "bluetooth" mics,
but they weren't actually bluetooth... they were UHF, but they didn't
know the difference - they were thinking over-the-ear things, and they
assumed everything like that is called a bluetooth.  But it was
garbage none-the-less. It was some $300 Aliexpress 4-channel receiver
thing with 12 mics... and they could NOT understand why they couldn't
use all 12 at the same time! No amount of explaining would satisfy
them.  There was also a serious language barrier - they were a Chinese
group.

That was 2 years ago.  This year, they returned, and they (luckily)
lost the 'bluetooth' mics... so they wanted to buy more. They kept
sending me screen grabs of different stuff from Aliexpress and other
Chinese websites... I couldn't read the descriptions, but at least the
numerals were in Arabic.... I got them to go with a UHF system... and
it arrived, and they plugged it in, and *poof* the magic smoke
escaped.  They ended up in desperation going to Guitar Center and
getting Shure's lowest-price UHF mics, which worked fine.

--
Jon Ares
www.arescreative.com