[SML] Scaffolding for FOH

Mt. Angel Performing Arts Center admin at mtangelperformingarts.com
Wed Nov 22 04:08:07 UTC 2017

On 11/21/2017 10:45 AM, Bill Nelson via Stagecraft wrote:
>> We use a "BilJax" rolling scaffold and IMHO it's worth it's weight in gold.
>>
>> Assembles and disassembles relatively easily, the 6' length spans our
>> seat-row spacing nicely and can be adjusted somewhat to compensate for a
>> raked floor.
>>
>> You can set the platform height almost anywhere and you can get
>> components to make the end supports any height in about 3' increments.
>>
>> Checking their catalog you can get lengths of 6', 8' or 10' so
>> accommodating most seat spacing should be possible. If not, hiring a
>> certified welder to re-jigger the braces shouldn't be too expensive
>> although any manufacturer's warranty would disappear.
>>
>> For OSHA you need outriggers if you go beyond 'platform height x' (which
>> I do not remember offhand) and the outriggers can be attached and
>> detached as needed for mobility.
>>
>> I'm sure other manufacturers have similar products but we're happy with
>> the BilJax.
>>
>> Catalog data starts on page 12 at
>> <http://www.biljax.com/clientuploads/Catalogs/Scaffold/Catalog_small.pdf>
>>
>> Just my opinion as a satisfied customer.
>>
>> Carla
>
> Thanks Carla.
>
> That looks better than others I have seen previously. My major concern is the
> weight.
>
> The biggest problem that we may not be able to solve, and it applies to any
> scaffolding/man-lift system, is "Where do we store it when not in use?". We
> just do not have the vacant floor space. The only way we could generate enough
> room would be to remove the couches in the Green Room - and I don't see that
> being approved.
>
> Bill

If storage space is an issue it breaks down into flat pieces and can be
stored leaning against or bungee'd to a wall.

Our 12 foot tall one stores in about 3 square feet of space.

The trade-off is that you then have to re-assemble it each time you use it.

Carla

A useful phrase for declining an unwanted advance: I'd love to but I'm
afraid that my girlfriend will go to my wife and say to her "Honey, your
husband is cheatin' on us."