[SML] FOH hang and focus safety improvement needed

Bill Conner billconnerastc at gmail.com
Sun Nov 26 12:36:58 UTC 2017

Your desire to have pipes close to ceiling and motorizing will conflict.
With motors you need over travel allowance and I'd be surprised if you
could get closer than 15-18", and that is to the top batten if more than
one.

With the structure you describe, the other conditions, only a few units,
and cable management, I'd estimate in the $25,000 per lineset, if it were
structurally possible.

It's rumored ETC will introduce a low profile self climber in a year or so,
which might fit your needs, if you can wait. And at a significantly lower
price point than their other rigging  products. Of course since they don't
introduce product till they are satisfied can't say it's 6 months, 2 years,
or never - but I'd guess a year.

Personally, I like non motorized solutions for their relative low
maintenance needs and long life. Assume a tech call every year for motors,
major component replacement in 10-15 years, and total replacement in 25-30
years. And how many of us have run manual gear that has rarely seen
maintenance and is over 30 years old?