[SML] FOH hang and focus safety improvement needed

billn at peak.org billn at peak.org
Tue Nov 28 20:56:51 UTC 2017

> Chain driven? I assumed manual.  I know too little about the room to
> understand why not on ceiling, but I'm sure there are reasons.  And a 30'
> span is easy, and only slightly beefier than an 18' span with 6'
> cantilevers.  The tracks could also be hung from overhead adjacent to
> walls, and not bear on walls.

Manual would certainly be preferable, as long as it is light enough to roll
easily. It would also be safer for use by volunteers - with the added bonus of
greatly reduced maintenance costs and less failure modes. The only reason I
mentioned chain driven is that was what someone on the list suggested and I
assumed motorizing would be necessary.

I would prefer the tracks to be ceiling hung, it would greatly simply the
mounting.

It would be desirable to hang the tracks within about a foot of the walls, for
easy access to the extreme ends of the light pipes.

How wide would the catwalk need to be? Is 2 feet wide enough or does it need
to be wider? I suspect that the width will not affect the cost very much.

Can you make a very rough guess on what such a track and catwalk system would
cost in the way of hardware and installation?

Your help is greatly appreciated. I think I am finally getting close to being
able to propose something to the BOD. It is arguably the safest of the various
options I am considering. Also, volunteers that are afraid of ladders seem to
be comfortable on a platform with rails.

Bill