[SML] Antique wheelchair - need new rubber for tires

jdunfee12 at yahoo.com jdunfee12 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 25 13:19:55 UTC 2018

 I saw a demonstration of a type of cyanocrylate, called "structural cyanocrylate".  It included a demonstration of gluing a black rubber gasket, and the bond was as strong as the material itself.  For many plastics, they say you must also use a surface prep product called.  The source at the presentation was Tech-bond,  www.tbbonding.com.  Their surface prep product was called Poly Prep.
If you use the solid rubber rod material, I wonder if it is possible to get something that is non-marring.  This way you wouldn't leave tracks.
I have repaired the crumbling wheels on a cart made from an old baby buggy we adapted. I used a product used to repair shoe soles, Shoe Goo.  It is available in black. Note that it does tend to shrink as the solvent evaporates. So, if you have to put in a deep layer, it is best to do it is stages. It would probably even be faster to do it in stages.

By the way, I was Mr. Potter in a musical version of "It's a Wonderful Life".  I had hoped to do more "dancing" in the wheel chair during one of the songs, but it was very hard to maneuver in it.  It is heavy because of the cast iron, and the geometry also makes it hard to turn.  I was surprised at how recent it was that the folding wheelchair, as we know it now, was invented. 1933.   Before then, I suppose you didn't get out much.
-Joe