[SML] Cataract Lens selection

Alf Sauve' alf at sauve.org
Mon Jul 16 15:56:24 UTC 2018

I, with the others, have had the procedure done.  Mine was just over a
year ago.

While expensive (without insurance) it is catching on as a elective
procedure to correct vision problems, not just when cataracts occur.

I have been near sighted since 1st grade and while I do well with
monovision lenses as well as progressives, I decided to finish out my
life far sighted.  Nothing fancy.  I have for the first time very clear,
unaided distance vision.  I can dance in the rain without wiping my
glasses.  And I can easily see which finger the actor is waving on stage
from the light booth.  Yes, I need readers, and it has taken almost a
year for it to feel natural, but I so enjoy.

I think I have less glare and staring then when I wore lenses.   I did
get the astigmatism correction added (+$1,100/eye out of pocket.)  I'm
glad I did everything is so clear.

While I have numerous sets of regular and progressive readers, my best
pair are full size ones custom made for my by my doctor. Actually give
me 20/15 on the top and progressively go to +2.0 readers towards the bottom.