[SML] Sardines!

Steven Mclean stevenjmclean at gmail.com
Fri May 11 11:52:20 UTC 2018

I forgot about the plate of sardines dumped on the actor.  That explains
how every once in a while a small rubber bait fish turns up in some random
corner of the backstage, prop room, or in a stray rehearsal prop!  Not
unlike glitter, snow, or confetti.  Can you imagine if they were real
sardines!.

BTW several years ago I was in London at a sit-down restaurant (not my
normal choice of a pub) and I ordered "Sardine Salad".  didn't know what to
expect.  Imagine my surprise when my plate arrived.  a small pile of
lettuce with three 5" or 6"" long (or so) fish.  Heads, tails, scales &
all.

The rubber bait-fish that we used  were more like 2" or 21/2" range.

On Fri, May 11, 2018 at 1:07 AM, Keith Newman via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> I just did the show and we ended up going with fishing lures. They were
> probably a bit smaller than real sardines and had no hooks. I was not
> worried about the look because our audience was more than 20' from the set.
> We hot glued a bunch of them to the plates. Keep in mind that some have to
> be dumped onto an actor. You do not want to use real ones for that. That
> also means that some need to not be glued down. Between the smell and the
> oil of real sardines, you will have an ugly mess every night. Costumes and
> upholstery can certainly be damaged by the oil or at least require
> additional cleaning.
>
> On Thu, May 10, 2018 at 7:29 PM, Jacob Blumberg via Stagecraft <
> stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
>> Hey all,
>>
>> We are going the show Noises Off, and we are thinking of making new
>> sardines for the show because our props department kind of let us down.
>> Does anyone have any tips we are about a week from show. We need them to
>> last for 4 performances. I was thinking of buying real ones and encasing
>> them with a layer of gelatin. Any other ideas?
>>
>> Jacob

Steven J McLean
stevenjmclean at gmail.com
designandtechtheatre.wordpress.com