[SML] Video Monitors – MaestroCam

Jeffrey E. Salzberg jeff at jeffsalzberg.com
Sat May 19 01:14:11 UTC 2018

This, from the PM of an opera I'm lighting in Vermont:

"I had planned to place a camera in the orchestra, connected to monitors
similar to what we've used for our fall operas, this year using one
large and two smaller monitors up on blocks not far from the stage...
but Maestro isn't crazy about that idea -- he thinks having them on the
floor close to the stage will make it too obvious that singers are
looking at them.

"He asked if we could mount them on the house R & L walls from the
sconces! But I don't have flat screen monitors, and when I looked into
it it was very expensive to find ones that worked for this purpose with
no delays.

"He may well have to be happy with what we've got, but I figured I'd
explore the possibility that Jeff knows of somewhere in Boston area
where they use monitors that we could borrow/rent?"

I don't, as a matter of fact (although I'll check with 4Wall-Boston and
High Output on Monday). Anyone have any other ideas?

The fact that they would light up the audience quite nicely during
blackouts is another issue entirely, of course.

---