[SML] Personal Work Boxes on tour

June Abernathy JEA00321 at yahoo.com
Sat May 19 06:29:27 UTC 2018

This varies widely from Production Company to Production Company and tour to tour.  Some small shows count on Heads of Department bringing workboxes with tools. Often those Heads negotiate some kind of rental fee and/or insurance for their boxes, and everyone uses their tools. It is rare for a small tour to allow assistants to carry workboxes unless, as Dave says, they have some kind of specialty gear that the show needs, like a sewing machine or a welder. Often assistants on such a tour can carve out a drawer in a show box somewhere for personal tools.

Even large tours don’t always allow assistants to bring a box, although it is common for Heads to. Often the larger shows carry show tools and hardware, so the tools in the personal workboxes are for personal use. Some people negotiate being able to troupe a box when they are offered a job, particularly if they have specialty gear, even if it isn’t generally allowed. Sometimes a department will designate a box to be shared by assistants in that department. There are still a couple of big shows where pretty much everyone on the road crew carries a workbox.

There are several different sizes and styles possible, and a lot depends on what you plan to carry. For full size boxes, I usually see one about 6’ tall (including casters),
2’ deep, and 4’ wide. That size will fit through a standard door, which is important. Half size boxes are also popular, generally also about 2’ deep and 4’ wide, but 3’ tall or so, so the top can be used as a work surface. Some people use about 4’ tall box, often more of a 3’ deep X 3’ wide square with drawers. Many lighting and sound shops sell workboxes of this type.

There are thousands of variations possible, and several vendors who sell both off the shelf and custom versions of workboxes.

June Abernathy
IATSE #321 (Tampa, FL)
FOH Electrician
The Lion King National Tour