[SML] Personal Work Boxes on tour

Richard Niederberg ladesigners at gmail.com
Sat May 19 03:56:42 UTC 2018

In my MUCH younger years, being paid a separate rental for a 'Road Box'
provided significant "non-taxable" compensation, but that has long since
become a no longer a significant factor, with liability insurance and other
costs today, so I don't even offer or accept that 'deal' anymore.
/s/ Richard
_________

-----

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 6:24 PM, Dave Vick via Stagecraft <
stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

> On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 8:00 PM, Bruce via Stagecraft
> <stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:
>
> >  Wondering what policy or practice is regarding personal work boxes for
> technicians on tour?
>

> My most recent experience has been assistants were not permitted to
> bring out personal workboxes unless the gig requires special tools
> and/or test equipment that would be too costly or hard-to-find for the
> company to duplicate. Dept. Heads were allowed to bring out a personal
> "office" box.
>
> I was permitted to carry my road box on my last tour (asan assistant)
> primarily because I owned three times as much tooling as the tour did,
> and it was an incentive to get me to hire on. On the tour priot to that,
> I carried my box because it was cheaper for me to do so than for the
> production company to buy all the test crap I carried for automation
> & chain hoist teardowns, and other such gobbledygook.
>
> Other companies and other tours operate differently.  Best bet is to
> check with the specific employer as to the policy for a given tour.
>
> --
> Dave Vick
> IATSE #274, Michigan
> ETCP Double-Certified Rigger #427