[SML] Personal Work Boxes on tour

Dave Vick dave.vick at gmail.com
Sat May 19 02:24:11 UTC 2018

On Fri, May 18, 2018 at 8:00 PM, Bruce via Stagecraft
<stagecraft at theatrical.net> wrote:

>  Wondering what policy or practice is regarding personal work boxes for technicians on tour?

My most recent experience has been assistants were not permitted to
bring out personal workboxes unless the gig requires special tools
and/or test equipment that would be too costly or hard-to-find for the
company to duplicate. Dept. Heads were allowed to bring out a personal
"office" box.

I was permitted to carry my road box on my last tour (asan assistant)
primarily because I owned three times as much tooling as the tour did,
and it was an incentive to get me to hire on. On the tour priot to that,
I carried my box because it was cheaper for me to do so than for the
production company to buy all the test crap I carried for automation
& chain hoist teardowns, and other such gobbledygook.

Other companies and other tours operate differently.  Best bet is to
check with the specific employer as to the policy for a given tour.

--
Dave Vick
IATSE #274, Michigan